Saturday, March 19, 2011

Couldn't sleep last night or whose glass is this?




I changed the oil in the engine and transmission; because it has been 150 hours since we departed D'ville on Feb 13th. Not news worthy you think! Trust me, when you put the dip stick back in place and cannot tighten it down, and then when you try to unscrew it and the top just spins, it is note worthy. I then decided to pull up on it, and the stick came up without the plastic plug. It was still in the transmission. After a few calls to Deltaville Marina and Keith Ruse and his associates, I decided to try an easy out to extract the plastic plug. The first one went into the hole left by the dip stick, but continued to turn without effort after a few turns. As I withdrew the wrench, the easy out dropped thru the hole into the transmission. I almost had the big one! I got a bigger easy out, and it simply fixed the plastic plug tighter and was on its way to dropping thru as I got a pair of vice grips on it and withdrew the tool. Now, I can't get the plug or the easy out out of the transmission. I had ordered a new dip stick only to find that when it arrived, it was not the right one and too long. New one now on order. I knew I had to remove the transmission from the back of the engine, which is a very, very difficult job. I unbolted the prop shaft from the transmission and moved the prop shaft back out of the way. Fairly easy if you have a lot of dexterity. I then had to unbolt the transmission from the engine. Not so easy. I got most of the bolts loose, but one was very difficult. I called Keith for permission to talk to John Morris, his engine expert, who had removed it once before several years ago. "John, How did you get it loose?" "Speedy, now you know why us mechanics make so much money!" I could not sleep last night as I contemplated how to solve the problem. I decided at 0430 this morning that I would heat a knife on the gas stove and try to melt the plug in several locations and pick the pieces out. I stopped work around mid day with three bolts yet to be loosened; since Cindy and John Hawkins were coming to visit and collect their glass which John had left on board during an approaching storm at Devil Hoffman Cay, in the Bahamas last year. As we relived experiences, I told John of my problem, and showed him how difficult it was to get the last bolts out. He and his son Mike pitched in an suggested I go over the top of the motor to get at several of the bolts. Great idea. Mike guided my wrench onto the last bolt head. We got the transmission off, inverted it to drain the new oil, and I used the hot knife trick to get the plastic plug removed. Worked like a charm. I then inserted a magnetic tool into the transmission and got the easy out removed. After several flushes, we reinstalled the transmission, started the engine, and put Marcnicliz in gear. Worked fine. Nanc had fixed us lunch, so we walked to the bar and had cold beers, lobster bites, and potato skins with everything. John gave me the glass which I have carried all this way, to remember them by, and we agreed he will fly his plane to Hummel Field to stay a few days sometime in the near future. I can now sleep and the glass is mine! Nanc and I drove to Marathon yesterday and Linda Hughes had told us it was a boat trailer park. I believe she is basically right. Too many boats to enjoy the tranquility you expect. There were about three hundred boats, and the dingy dock was more extensive than most marinas we have been to. The Moon is full, closer that it has been in eighteen years, and the rum tastes especially good tonight. Kath arrives Wed. S

1 comment:

  1. Nancy and Speedy: I see you are nearing 'The Conch Republic'. There are many great restaurants: Mangia Mangia, Michaels..... But, our current favorite is 'Seven Fish' on the corner of Elizabeth & Olivia Streets. It is tiny (11 tables) and off the beaten path a block south from the cemetery. Reservations are essential. 305-296-2777. They always have a fabulous yellow tail snapper entre. Hope the weather and winds are favorable.
    Regards,
    Al Hay

    ReplyDelete