Sunday, April 10, 2011

7 degrees of separation and Joe Brookerson


Friday our friends Sigrid and Eric Vollmecke came for a world wind visit. They arrived at 1630 and left this morning at 0300. They have had four vacations since the birth of their first child ( now have 5), all with Nanc and me. Friday night we were sitting in Sharkeys enjoying all you can eat Mahi Mahi which is unbelievably good, and I really don't like fish that much. The waiter tells me the next table has sent drinks for us to enjoy. I thought I was being pretty good, and couldn't believe someone was trying to put me to sleep. We then saw Col Joe Brookerson, DDS who had served under my command back at the 167th many years ago. He and friends were here bone fishing. They came down to the boat, and we enjoy telling ole lies and catching up.

Now back to Eric. He also served under me, and I pulled him along in his career to become a one star General or Brigadier. He is now the Chief of Staff of the WVANG and serves in my old job. He came to Qatar in 2003, while I was the Director of Mobility Forces for Iraq and Afghanistan, and served as my Exec for three months while paying someone else to work his civilian job during his absence. I took him to Baghdad and promoted him to Colonel or 0-6 at the Field Hospital being run by the 167 AMES at the Saddam Hussein International Airport. We then went to the Presidential Palace and sat in Saddam's throne chair. We took them swimming, to Everglades National Park, and then dinner at The Fish Company in Islamorada last night. I recommend it to you highly. Beautiful sunset. Nanc really enjoyed their visit, and our travels. We came back for drinks, then we got up at 0300, kissed good by, and they drove to Ft Lauderdale for their flight back to Dulles this morning! Unbelievable. S

No comments:

Post a Comment