Friday, February 18, 2011

Charleston, SC, Ft Sumter and The Citadel

We pulled the anchor up at 0850; since the fog was gone, and the day was clear and beautiful. We motored into Charleston Harbor past Ft Sumter to Charleston City Marina and tied to the dock at 1020. I pumped in 47.5 gals of fuel and the tank only holds 52. I had figured we would take 45. I have 15 extra gals on deck in 5 gal cans in case I miss figure or run short. I took all the dirty items to the laundry and washed them. It is amazing how much you can dirty in 5 days. Joe departed for the airport and rented a car to drive back to Richmond and ride home with his wife Cathy. I called Brig Gen Vollmecke, who is a Citadel grad and got him to put me in touch with someone to get Nanc special seats for the Citadel Friday afternoon Pass in Review Parade.
Lt Gen Rossa, President of the Citadel, stopped and introduced himself and welcomes us. It was quite an impressive event led by bagpipes. Read Pat Conroy's "Lords of Discipline" for an idea of life at a military school. Cadets from the Citadel fired the first canon to start the Civil War. We are staying here tomorrow and shopping and eating out tomorrow night down town. Charleston is a beautiful city. S


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful picture of Ft. Sumter and what a beautiful piece of American history. :)

    ReplyDelete